On its Inventor product website, Autodesk describes Inventor 2023 as packed with customer-driven updates and enhancements. The newest release connects you to the Autodesk cloud and includes improvements to performance, automation and core modeling workflows. Following is just a sampling of the new and updated features to speed up manufacturing design workflows in Inventor 2023:
- Bill of Materials: A new BOM Settings option was introduced that allows you to control zero quantity visibility and item number sequencing.
- Constraint Workflows: You can now suppress a constraint directly when editing it.
- Express Mode: An update to component visibility has improved the performance of Express Mode.
- Model States: When a substitute model state is active, four commands are disabled in the ribbon and two are disabled in the context menu. Dynamic Simulation displays a message that the substitute model state has no moving bodies. In addition, Frame Analysis displays a message that you need to switch to a non-substitute model state.
- Tube and Pipe: Last used values are preserved after you close Route panel in the Properties dialog, including Auto-route, Auto-dimensions, Auto-constraints, and Convert Auto-route to Sketch.
- Simplify Command: The way Features are recognized is clearer for the delineation between additive versus subtractive features, including Pocket for subtractive features like sweeps and Emboss for positive protrusions.
- Drawing Annotation: Weld annotations are improved, with a new “field flag direction” option. The latest ISO 2553-2019 standard is used for Edge Weld and Butt Weld Symbols. A Stake Weld symbol has been added for EN ISO 2553:2017. The Surface Finish Collection symbol is updated for the latest EN ISO 1302:2002 standard. All surface texture reference types can be included on a sheet.
- Drawing Views: You can change the detail view boundary shape from circular to rectangular by using Edit Detail Properties in the detail view. The command can be accessed from the view context menu in either the browser or the sheet. In addition, you can now copy and move revision tables across drawing sheets.
- Inventor to Fusion 360: When using Fusion 360 tools you have the option to start the Fusion 360 workspace for the command you choose. The Modeling command (formerly Send to Fusion) takes you to the Fusion 360 Design workspace. The new commands provide workflows into additional Fusion 360 workspaces: Generative Design, Simulation and Manufacturing. You select the Fusion 360 tool you want to use and the components you want to send to Fusion 360. The Inventor components are derived into a single IPT, copied to Fusion Team and opened in Fusion 360 in the appropriate workspace.
- Data Exchanges: Data Exchange for Inventor makes it easy to share specified subsets of Revit data with stakeholders.
- 3D Annotation and Model-Based Definition: A Datum Target command has been added to the General Annotation panel. With it you can establish datums on irregular surfaces. Datum Target has been added to Styles and can be used in Tolerance Features. The Tolerance Advisor has been updated to support ASME 2009 and ISO 2012.
- Features: Enhancements include Fillets, relationships, Extrude and Revolve.
- Mark Command: The Mark command enables creation of laser marking, etching and engraving features. Mark export properties have been added to the Style and Standards editor.
- Sheet Metal Parts: The Face, Contour Flange and Flange commands are now supported by two enhanced options – “Show extended names” and “Display extended information after feature node name in browser.”
- Tolerance and Parameter: Part and assembly model states now support unique tolerance settings for each state. Individual model states respect tolerance settings. Tolerance Parameters are accessible in an Excel spreadsheet for model states. Model states can also configure user-defined Text parameters and true/false (Boolean) parameters.
- Any storyboard can be renamed during creation or when editing a presentation.
- A new Frame Rate option has been added to the Video Resolution settings.
- Standard iProperties and Custom iProperties can now be used in Part model sketch.
- iLogic: You can now add a custom command for an external rule or global form to the ribbon. The filters “iLogic Rules” and “iLogic Forms” are added to the Customize dialog.
If you’re interested in how Inventor can improve your mechanical design and 3D CAD workflows, contact Applied Software, Graitec Group. You can partner with Applied Software experts to investigate the benefits of Inventor.