Set Revit Project Default Opening Version
29 August 2016All, Architecture and Engineering, Construction
If you have multiple Revit versions installed in your computer you may already have run into this issue before. When you double click the .rvt file and it doesn’t open in the Revit version that you want because there is no default, or the installation got corrupted and now it doesn’t open at all. (This also happen when you uninstalled a later version of Revit).
You might think the obvious solution is to go to the control panel, and then set default programs, or choose default apps in windows 10. If you do that you will soon found out that it doesn’t work, then you go to repair Revit and after waiting hours you find out that it doesn’t work either… Frustrating right?
Then you go online to search for a solution and if you are lucky enough you will find this 2015 Autodesk article on the AKN.
The solution involves manually modifying a windows registry (kinda risky).
Modify the registry value directly (Administrative rights require):
- Open the system registry (Windows Start menu > Run > Regedit).
- Locate the following key:
- Double click on (Default)
- Change the Value Data to the desired path within the quotes (do not change the /dde part of the Value Data).
- Click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Double click on an RVT file (a restart should not be required, but it would be good to try if the steps don’t work initially).
If you don’t feel very adventurous or just need an easy quick app to set your default Revit version Download this application ->Download Link <-
Run the application and select your default Revit version from the dropdown list then click OK.
To download the source code for this application go to my Github repository.